Natural treatment for type 2 diabetes – Getting Started
So right after the diagnoses of Type 2 Diabetes, the doctor has about 10 minutes to explain to you what diabetes is, how to change your lifestyle with diet and exercise, gives you a box with a glucometer in it, then gives you a couple of prescriptions you’ll need to start taking. The nurse comes in for 5 more minutes to show you how to prick your finger, test your blood sugars – what’s good then what’s bad. They want you to stop up front on the way out and schedule a 3-month follow up appointment, which you do. Total time – 25 minutes or so and the whole time your head is swimming from hearing “you have type 2 diabetes”, after which you didn’t hear another word. That sound a bit like what happened? Yeah, me too.
Looking back, I wish I had known then what I know now, because the first thing I would have asked the doctor was… “Do I really need to starting taking these chemically based pills and injecting this synthetic hormone insulin, that will likely put more weight on me? Or is there something more natural and healthy I could do instead that would help me REVERSE my condition?” But no … I was still trying to figure out … how did I get Type 2 Diabetes in the first place? Well, after some research on my own – over time, I found out some interesting stuff that even my doctor didn’t tell me, and here’s a little of what I’ve learned.
Over half of the adult population in America has been diagnosed with diabetes and no public health issue compares in magnitude. According to top medical doctors, nutritionists and most recently, the media, type 2 diabetes has been found to be completely reversible. However, there are still millions of people all around the globe who believe that diabetes is completely genetic and that once you are diagnosed, you will have to live with it for the rest of your life.
This article aims to tell you that not only can you treat diabetes, but you can also do it using natural remedies. There are cases of people reversing their type 2 diabetes in weeks! That’s such amazing information!
Type 1 diabetes is rarely reversed but can be managed using the right dietary changes. Type 2 diabetes, however, is caused by the body’s resistance to insulin. Prolonged periods of inactivity and high intake of refined sugar and high carb diets have been attributed to causing type 2 diabetes. The body tries to fight.
Natural steps to treat type 2 diabetes
- Remove the following foods from your diet to naturally treat type 2 diabetes
- High carb foods – You should avoid high carb foods such as bread, white rice and gluten-containing products such as wheat. These carbohydrates are quickly broken down to sugar within minutes of consumption. Gluten may cause inflammation of the intestine, affecting hormones such as leptin and cortisol, leading to spikes in blood sugar.
- Refined sugar – Sugary snacks, desserts, and soda are the worst culprits. These quickly elevate your blood sugar levels and do not have any nutritional benefits.
- Alcohol – Beers and cocktails have a high carb and high sugar content.
- Balance your Omega-6 and Omega-3 fats
- These should be close to a 1:1 ratio. Eat fatty fish like sardines and salmon and take Omega-3 oil. Avoid Omega-6 seed oils.
- This slowly fixes the body’s resistance to insulin by increasing your muscle’s ability to use insulin. Opt for short sessions of high-intensity workouts 3-4 days a week rather than long sessions of moderate exercise as these have proven to be more effective.
- Lose weight – Obesity has been linked to type 2 diabetes so losing weight will go a long way in treating it naturally. This also decreases your risk of getting it to begin with.
- Reduce your stress – Get enough rest and ensure that you are mentally and emotionally healthy. Stress raises the levels of cortisol in your body leading to hormone imbalance.
- Supplement your diet – Balance your blood sugar by taking supplements such as:
- Chromium Picolinate which improves insulin sensitivity
- Fish oil for proper insulin function
- Alpha-Lipoic acid which improves insulin sensitivity
- Cinnamon which improves blood sugar control
- Magnesium which helps blood sugar control
There are people opt to have gastric bypass surgery or take a myriad of pills to treat diabetes but these do not work well, nor do they sustain recovery. Type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle disease and it is only through right lifestyle changes that it can be treated permanently.